Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ReplyNew TopicPoll

»  And your Sacred Stars won't be Guiding you, Tag: Birdy
Lazarus Fenwick
 Posted: Apr 28 2014, 12:35 AM

Tremere Eccentric
40, Kindred

N/A

The night was dark, much darker then it had any right to be given that the moon was shining full, it seemed that not one beam could break the dense treeline of withered dead thorns that twisted black and ominous from fallow soil. It was as if all the land had been torched black by some great fire that brought no rebirth with it...it was against nature, and that in and of itself was unsettling.

A fog had blown in, with it a cold wet chill, and the sounds of hoof steps against dense earth, though as the sound grew louder, it followed with a more clinical tap- like heels against a tile floor, the night sky was gone, replaced with a the ceiling of an old hospital observatory, the moon choked out with bricks and dead florescent lights...

Though the forest within the dome seemed not without some faint glow within the horizon, as a small beast, limped into sight, it cast its own silvery light...not quite a goat but not a horse either, it sported one long horn from it's brow. A horn red with blood that trailed down and soaked it's forelock. It's nostrils flaring as it stomped it's feet and pawed at the ground, agitated and looking as though it was standing it's ground for a fight. Milky eyes focusing on any who would dare look upon it.

A unicorn. Not exactly a frightening sight to most, though most didn't understand how strangely the beast was acting. Though it seemed it was wounded...where its breast was pierced a quicksilver-like substance dripped, thick and viscus to the point where it made a plop as it it the tiles below it. Where it landed, more vile brier seemed to sprout. It dipped his head down, and looked ready to charge...only to get blindsided by a great boar the size of a steed, who squealed a warning and shook it's shaggy head threatening to gore the unicorn once again, who took it's leave in quick bounding leaps back through the thicket from which it came.

The boar turned, and snorted, kicking at the tainted earth until only the observatory remained, each consulate chair standing upright, except for the chair of Forces, the sphere of the Order of Hermes which was knocked to the floor. A small business card sat on the floor next to it, an law firm out in Queens with no real name attached to it other then the founders. Whitmore and Tate.

Lazarus found himself out only to indulge in some human interaction which he sorely lacked and felt he needed because he swore he could feel himself slipping, and that was years before he had ever turned. He had talked his little brother into taking him with when Jonas had run off to the bars, but after a few hours he felt as though he had probably been ditched for some skirt along the way. He couldn't say he really blamed the kid, and honestly good on him, because life really was for the living. He smirked, hands in his pockets as he walked down a darkened street.

There was no moon, and you couldn't see the stars...at one point Lazarus would have been leery about that, inauspicious to say the least. But he knew what really crept in the dark, he had become one of them, and he didn't feel he had much to fear anymore- besides, the neighborhood was familiar, his firm had been out here when he still worked there some years ago, it was nostalgic really...bitter sweet enough to bring a sad smile to his face as he slowed to a stop by the old building he had spent so much of his better years in.

It looked just as he left it, though his name was long since scrubbed from the sign, expected but it still felt a bit like a tiny betrayal. He lingered for just a moment before chuckling, what the hell was he doing here? He should have just hit the subway and called a cab to get him home. This was ridiculous. Grasping at something that wasn't his and never would be again even if he had been. Though a weird feeling struck him, like he was meant to be there, a sensation he hadn't felt since he still sported a pulse, and he paused, washed out blue eyes scanning the horizon then the skies as though looking for a sign...but it was dark and there were no answers there that he could see.
PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: Apr 28 2014, 02:01 AM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

The night was indeed dark. The reflections of the stars were too dim for the blight that made the whole area hazy. This was the third time she had traveled the path, shivering with the lingering breath of winter that refused to lift. From her vantage in the shadows where the boar had deposited her, she watched as the unicorn a wounded, dangerous beast spread its ichor.

“How...”

The word came breathlessly, laced in steam that haloed Birdy's face as the boar burst into the thorns after the unicorn. There went her ride. Travel was not a difficult thing in this place but it would cost her. It was better to gather what information she could before she left.

It all began with one of her usual walks. She had not expected the woman to come to her. The spirit reached a great height for a woman-- well over Birdy's head which was hard for most to do. It was the spear though and the great boar that snuffled along behind her and sat, waiting, as if it were a lapdog. The spirit's voice was full of the wind in the trees, the hungry sound of justice sought. (Birdy could only put that name to it later, staring out the window in her office) The Dreamspeaker was no fool – she bowed and greeted the spirit with great respect and listened to her as she made her pact. There had been another in this part of the Umbra – one who sought justice in the outside world and Arduinna supported him. Now though... now he was missing and places he'd touched were being ravaged, poisoned by a milky, hazy sickness. Find him, stop the beast and a boon would be Birdy's to claim. How could she possibly resist?

It was weeks later and she was accustomed to the boar now. The rumbling, barrel chested gait, the rough trod of bronzed hooves as he snuffled at the air and ravens circled in his wake. Even the way the rough hairs along his snout felt when he was sniffing at her knees. Just the memory of it made her itch as she stooped to pick up the business card from the ground. She brushed it off, the sour-scented earth leaving smudges on her fingers and the pristine white paper. For a chantry it was disturbingly devoid of life. She recognized the lingering stones and the dome and was troubled that even here was not safe.

Not wanting to dwell on it, Birdy returned to her investigation and inspected the card, pressing it to her lips, breathing it into her lungs. Past the rot she could taste it, the age of it, the gentility and...hm. Still there. She tapped the corner against her fingertips and stooped again, this time using the card to draw in the earth. The diagram was simple enough as she began to sing her Traveling song. Without her drum she tapped her foot, letting the bounce slip through her body to add to the percussive element. She could feel the rhythm building up in her and by the time she was done drawing the two circles the pattern had developed in her fully.

Travel in the umbra, particularly when you'd been there before was easy. With the card in hand she had as good as been there before. It came with wind and the sound of birds scattering as the flock around her dispersed. Here, the umbra looked healthier, all around it was healthier in fact. Whatever they were doing at the chantry... eugh. Not what she wanted to think about. Instead, she gathered her blanket up around her and glanced at her watch. Bars were closing, the streetlights were dark.... it was quiet there.

Stepping through was never easy, it made your ears pop and it dried out your skin.... traveling too often in the storm did that. Still, when Birdy found her feet firmly planted on proper pavement at the end of an alley she didn't quite recognize, she knew she'd managed it ably enough. There would be consequences, there always were but she was one step closer to figuring out what it all meant. So there she was, in the darkest part of the alley, barefoot (regretfully) though still wearing her immaculately pressed slacks and gauzy white blouse. If not for the shoes and the stark red and black of her blanket she might not have seem so oddly placed. Removing the blanket she started to fold it, carefully, draping it over her arm as she glanced around her surroundings for proper clues.
PMEmail
^
Lazarus Fenwick
 Posted: Apr 28 2014, 02:57 AM

Tremere Eccentric
40, Kindred

N/A

He didn't know what he was expecting. There was nothing out there, Lazarus chuckled under his breath, shaking his head in exasperation at how he clung to his superstitious leanings like he had wished they would come back. The world lacked the magic had grown accustomed to, he had to get used to that. But he didn't want to admit that just yet, his life had become static, entropic...to the point where it was suffocating.

But he still wanted to believe. It just all felt like a dream he had woken up to, and now all that was left were nightmares. He shivered, suddenly feeling very scared and alone, it was too quiet outside of the road noise, but years had taught him to drone that out until it was nothing more then white noise. It was almost like silence when it came to the city. So he met it with a whistle, though when he spoke his voice was soft and easy to miss, the noise was sharp and clear as he played the first few lines of some old Billy Joel song that came to mind.

No sooner then he started, it seemed The Stranger was beckoned, and he froze- he could have sworn there had been no one there before. Lazarus wasn't a man to startled easily but he found himself blinking as he looked at the woman. But he didn't exactly find himself in fear of her, really it was just strange, which he could handle. Why not a woman folding a blanket with no shoes on? Obviously that was just the most normal thing that the city had to offer. Which would have been a laugh if that wasn't almost the case. His brows quirked, as though arguing with himself internally about something or other until something won over and he spoke up.

"Excuse me, excuse me ma'am?" His voice was whisper-like though not meek in tone. "Are you alright?"

Fully aware that he might have come across as some sort of creep given the circumstances, though he was pretty certain that he was hardly the worst thing that could meet her tonight. Vampire or no, he was an old fruit in a turtle neck and a sport coat, there were stray kittens around here a bit more dangerous then he was. But he was cautious just the same, not exactly relishing the idea of a face full of mace for trying to be a good Samaritan. Lazarus took a few hesitant steps towards the strange woman as he waved his hand to get her attention, a subdued gesture but it was there none the less. She seemed to be looking for something, so his next question was a bit more obvious then the ones before. "What are you looking for?" He was curious now, and his predilection for asking questions and getting answers was getting the best of him, whether he wanted to or not.
PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: Apr 28 2014, 12:44 PM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

Birdy was just looking up at the side of the building, comparing it to the business card still clutched in her hand when she heard the man’s voice. She froze, considering what was about to happen over the course of the next few moments.

Consider: Had the man seen her step out and through and thus magically appear in the shadows? Judging by his calm demeanor he had not or he was used to seeing such things. One point in her favor.

Consider: She had no shoes on and judging by the smell…. She had a good chance that she wouldn’t step in anything –too- terrible but one never really knew. Birdy reminded herself that she’d been through worse. Again, a point in her favor.

Consider: What explanation would she give him for being there? It wasn’t as if she had all the typical things one had when they stepped out of the house for the evening. She wasn’t even wearing shoes for goodness sake! This was, perhaps where she would find her hitch.

As the man spoke and approached, Birdy prayed for Raven’s crafty tongue. “Hmm? Yes. Yes I’m fine. I mean…. Yes.” She smiled, nothing wrong here except us crazy ladies and a spirit of purity so warped that it was poisoning the umbra. No big deal. “I hope I didn’t startle you. I just, I’m looking for… its something of a long story. A friend… she’s worried about a stray and I told her I’d help…. Take care of it.” It wasn’t lying, not really – not a single word she’d spoken was a lie. They just weren’t the entire truth. It was a fine grey area one had to operate in sometimes. Birdy wasn’t always comfortable with it. “I was in such a hurry I just dashed right out! I was so caught up in trying to follow…” She laughed a bit, ruefully and offered her hand. “I’m Roberta. You haven’t seen … “ a unicorn walking around here throwing toxic blood, have you?? No….. that wouldn’t come out right. “… its white and …” She gestured, poorly to rough out the size of it. It was bigger than a breadbox but smaller than a Volkswagen. Could be anything.

Last resort: She smiled again and hugging the blanket to her chest comfortably she sighed and tucked some of her thick, dark hair behind her ear. Birdy had seen her college roommate perform a similar maneuver with books against her chest. It was an impressive bit of distraction in the pretty red head’s arsenal….. Birdy only hoped it worked half as well for her.
PMEmail
^
Lazarus Fenwick
 Posted: Apr 28 2014, 01:45 PM

Tremere Eccentric
40, Kindred

N/A

This might have all made a lot more sense had Lazarus seen the woman step sideways out of the Umbra, but instead his mind was still boggled how someone had snuck up on him. He had been distracted probably- thinking about the past so much that someone without shoes had soft soled their way right past his defenses. A scary proposition....because what if it hadn't been some bumbling mortal woman? What if it had been some kindred with an ax to grind? A cold shiver crawled up his spine just considering it, causing his shoulders to shake just a moment before it passed.

"Fine? You aren't wearing any shoes." Concern, he was frankly very concerned about that little detail, even though maybe he considered that he should be more worried about how much she trampled over the conversation they were having. The attorney in him found it suspicious, the Quesadori within him thought it was infuriating...but the part of him that was Lazarus broken and dull, couldn't give two shits if you paid him. "You're looking for a dog?" His head dipped slightly as he looked at her through his brows, a smirk playing on his face just considering all this to do for something so....mundane.

Which was probably why he had no second thoughts about offering his cold, clamy hand to return the gesture, he meant no harm, nor did she...in that corner of his mind that was still positively medieval, the two of them had signed a pact of peace. "Lazarus, pleased to meet you Ms. Roberta." the soft spoken vampire bowed his head in greeting then frowned a little, puffing out a jet of air- a very human gesture, one he hadn't quite given up and doubted he ever would. "I haven't seen any I'm sad to say..."

He trailed off, watching whatever scene unfold as the woman tried to either play the part of the darling...or have a stroke, he wasn't actually too sure there, instead he found himself tilting his head the longer he looked at it, until his cheek nearly met his shoulder. Lazarus had no idea what he was seeing here, or maybe he did, it was just he wasn't at all clear on what the girl was getting at. "...You could just ask me to help you find it you know." The vampire's brows lifted and he chuckled, all too amused at whatever this all was. "Has to be easier then all this." He gestured towards Birdy as his smile faded.

"Though we should figure something out about your shoe situation. That's unacceptable, it's not warm enough you will catch your death out here like that..." A sudden snap in his tone, not towards anything cruel or harsh...but like a parent that went from friendly to worried in a rather quick go. Which he seemed to note with a bit of an embarrassed huff as his face tensed and he grew silent. "...."
PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: Apr 28 2014, 02:56 PM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

Oh there were so many ‘mights’ and ‘maybes’ that could have made the whole of the situation easier but none of them were there or happened so they would have to muddle on as they were. They were big kids, they could figure it out—couldn’t they? Of course they could.

The awkward angle at which his head turned, the complete failure of hers to distract him from any of what was going on made her huff. Well. At least she knew how terribly unprepared she was to seduce her way out of a life or death situation.

Instead, carefully minding whatever puddles of questionable liquids she could, Birdy inspected the building façade and even more carefully, the man before her as she stepped around him. “Even without shoes I assure you I really won’t be any worse for wear. When I was little I used to wander around as a barefooted heathen all the time.” She waved off his worry with a smile and rubbed the corner of the business card with the pad of her thumb. This was the place, it was where the spirits meant her to be, but now what?

“As for your help I would honestly love to have it but I don’t know how to describe what I’m looking for in any … effective way. I’m sure its not here anyway, I was just looking for signs of its.. passing through. I don’t suppose you know anything about this building or, “ Birdy flashed the card, smudged and dirty as it was. “Whitmore and Tate?”

She had made a complete circle of the man now, his hair was so pale. The image of the unicorn in her mind was very clear and the more she looked at the man, the more she wondered if his hair would feel the same. Birdy was hardly in a position to compare though. “You don’t…. I mean… you’re not…” She stopped. “You seem familiar to me Mr Lazarus and I’m having the hardest time placing you.” .. …because you don’t seem like a rabid unicorn to me but how many other white haired, whispering gentlemen was I going to meet precisely where the spirits lead me?
PMEmail
^
Lazarus Fenwick
 Posted: Apr 29 2014, 04:34 PM

Tremere Eccentric
40, Kindred

N/A

Oh the poor dear, Lazarus felt almost a tinge bad for her. She had tried, how would she have ever known she was barking up the wrong tree? Well...though he had his feeling that it wouldn't have worked the way she had wanted it to even other more suitable circumstances, well better luck next time.

"Ugh but the streets are so dirty and unsafe..."

Back in Long Beach he hadn't been much for footwear either on his parent's property as a kid...but the city itself was a dangerous place made of broken glass and hypodermic needles, among other things. But he seemed to be a gentleman about it, letting the matter drop with a little huff of his own, and then he smirked, seemed they both had something they were bad at between the two of them, between her flirting, and his expression of concern, they didn't make for good pair in terms of communication.

So Lazarus tried a little harder, because he was stubborn- and a little irked that apparently for whatever reason he couldn't help find a dog? His hand grabbed the card, and it was hard to not snap it, though after he gave it a good look it seemed that his smile came back, he returned the card and shook his head. "There's no way that there's a dog in there. Archie hates dogs." Though his gaze went back to that building, a moment confused by how this was all going...so very dadaist in his opinion.

"Or are you not looking for a dog?"

His tone was firmer this time around, though still as whispy as ever- his pale eyes growing stern as they stared her down, a little stomp of his foot as he waited impatiently for an answer. The one he received however was no less baffling the anything else, and he sighed. "I assure you that you don't know me." Because he certainly didn't know her, and he prided himself with his memory on such matters. "What are you playing at?" He took a step forward, feeling that this was deeper then he had initially considered, the weirdness was getting his hackles to raise, and he was an old paranoid member of the council, and he this game they were playing was starting to wear thin on him. Feigning cute only went so far.
PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: Apr 29 2014, 06:15 PM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

And this, Little Bird, is why lying is never the answer.

She could hear the echo of her grandmother’s voice in her ear as she stared, rather blankly, at the man as he puffed and harrumphed and generally began all the posturing of a man who was Put Out. The thought that she could mirror his attitude, puff herself up a little more, toss the hair and make the whole situation that much worse – that wasn’t at all lost on her. She knew better and, as it was Birdy, knowing better meant doing better. There was really no other way.

She listened as he questioned and he looked so very thoughtfully about it all and took that time to choose a perch to continue the conversation. Fortunately, conveniently, there was a small set of back stairs that looked slightly less damp and definitely less dirty than the surrounding pavement. Birdy say, laying the blanket carefully in her lap before she brushed some stray and questionable debris from the side of her foot and then off of her hands.

“Technically and to be most honest I said a ‘stray’ I never said ‘dog’.” She stretched her hand out toward him, palm up expectantly. “I am investigating a matter of some importance and arrived here in ..” She breathed in, tasting the turn of phrase. To put things delicately would be best. “… a much greater hurry than I expected. That card, if you would be so kind as to return it, was delivered as a hint—a clue to who or what I am looking for. I suspect it is in fact a ‘who’ but cannot be sure.” She flicked an imaginary piece of lint from her blanket and smiled back up at the man with the same stillness and simplicity of manner that she carried with her always into the umbra. “Of course, I cannot say I've had much experience with unicorns, tainted or no.” Birdy would have laughed then, the breath was there and the ridiculousness of it but she didn't quite have the energy. He would either think her crazy at this point or inflammatory but there was nowhere else to direct the conversation. “Have you? Or perhaps Whitmore or Tate? Its funny that you should be here though it could all be coincidence. I find though, that in situations like these, coincidences are few and far between. They are … convenient ways to over look the obvious.”
PMEmail
^
Lazarus Fenwick
 Posted: Apr 30 2014, 12:16 AM

Tremere Eccentric
40, Kindred

N/A

If there was ever a man who would and had huffed and puffed and blew the house down it was Lazarus. Not that he was a particularly aggressive man, it was just that he liked things in a particular way, he didn't like obfuscation it wasn't in his nature and anything outside of his comfort zone ended up in him growing frustrated, though even his frustration seemed more or less benign for now.

Still his lips screwed up in a funny way and his brows vexed down the middle until they threatened to make themselves one long white unit. He was being played for a fool he knew it, but with one long suffering sigh he seemed to let his feelings pass as though he were so used to such things that it wasn't even worth the trouble. Though the mention of a unicorn put a strange but passing twinge of some emotion that not even Lazarus could place.

With a drawn out hum as though hesitating to reply it seemed the vampire had something to say about her hunt, which surprisingly wasn't a statement about some lack of sanity. "DaVinci once said: The unicorn, through its intemperance and not knowing how to control itself, for the love it bears to fair maidens forgets its ferocity and wildness; and laying aside all fear it will go up to a seated damsel and go to sleep in her lap, and thus the hunters take it." He flicked a hand before picking at his nails with his thumb. "So I would suppose you should be out hunting maidens, though you aren't going to find any in this building..." He did a sharp twitch with his neck towards the firm building and smirked, but it was a hollow gesture.

Lazarus cleared his throat with some intention. "Either way there aren't any unicorns. Not anymore." Bygones, they were called as he remembered it, all having retreated to the other side of the Velvet Curtain generations ago, though he had a feeling he was starting to pick up what the woman was getting at, and he shook his head as he sat down next to her. If she was looking for his avatar, that too was long gone in this world.

"You know this this firm used to be called Fenwick, Whitmore and Tate..."

With a smirk he handed over the card, he seemed to be taking the conversation to a very idle place, though if there was some greater metaphysical purpose here perhaps, just maybe he'd throw her a little bit of a hint...he lacked the concept of prime these days, and breaking the Law of Shade especially now that he was basically enemy number one.

PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: Apr 30 2014, 04:31 PM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

Next time Birdy read Moby Dick (If ever) she would be picturing a tall, white haired Ahab that looked sternly back at her from the pages of her book.

“Well, I suppose maidens could be hunted but from first blush I have a feeling they won’t do for me what I need. Besides, you and I both know—in this city, finding a maiden pure of heart is as difficult as finding the beast itself.” Birdy’s words slowed slightly as she watched the man sit beside her. Huh. Well that was unexpected. It wasn’t a terrible thing, just surprising. She adjusted her position to make sure there was room for him and it left them sitting side-by-side, knee to knee. It was comfortable for Birdy and she hadn’t expected that from his manner.

“There are unicorns if you know where to look. But tell me, about Fenwick, Whitmore and Tate and how you know about them. They’re a legal firm, yes?” She took the card from him and rubbed her finger against the letters. She tried to awaken it, to enliven the spirit within the card. The spirit of a business card was brief in nature but it wanted to be seen. To inform, to be remembered and lovely. This card though, was stubborn. Birdy blamed the unicorn.
PMEmail
^
Lazarus Fenwick
 Posted: May 1 2014, 12:30 AM

Tremere Eccentric
40, Kindred

N/A

Had Lazarus known Roberta's literary intentions with his image he'd might have been a bit flattered, though he lacked that sort of focus and drive. Maybe once certainly but never to the level that Ahab did. Besides, he never had much spine for seamanship- his yacht handling skills were abysmal. Though that was neither here nor there.

A chuckle escaped his lips at that sad little truth. For a moment he thought about his girls, and felt a pang of worry- though it passed, not without showing for that instant. "Isn't that the truth?" Maybe, he thought to himself his actions were just the act of someone who was lonely, because he had even surprised himself. He was never one to be confused as a sociable gentleman, but it had been a long time since he really even talked to someone who wasn't well...his younger brother, a nice kid, but not exactly riveting company- unless you were into 'crushing brews and slaying bitches'.

"Of course, though they're a bit more symbolic now don't you think? A shadow of what was once real."

No longer physical but now spirits of course, though he hadn't seen one since his untimely death. Not one. Not once. A sad sort of thing to consider since there was once where his life had revolved around such things. It was almost like an amputees phantom limb...he wanted to feel them there, and sometimes he did...but not truly anymore..

There was a jolt to Lazarus' movements, his once relaxed stance pulling in at the knees as he sat upright. He had said too much, he really had, and there was a pained expression on his face, he wanted to say more, but his speech came out detached as though talking about someone else. "Yes, a legal firm. Whitmore is close to retirement. Tate is young. Fenwick left due to...personal problems. Family. Say..." he tapped his fingers on his knees, just to stop from white knuckling his grip upon them. "...have you ever been to North Brother Island? I hear it's lovely this time of year." Another hint through diversion and he cleared his throat, looking almost ready to leave before he got this poor girl in any more trouble then she already probably got herself in. "It's a good place to find strays I hear..."
PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: May 2 2014, 12:52 AM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

Had Lazarus known any of Roberta's intentions, even the non literary ones, he would have been flattered and saddened. There was no 'might' about it.

What he did know though, was more than he wanted to tell Birdy. She could see in the tension, feel it in the way his muscles bunched up beside her. Not wanting to make him run off and not tell her more, she tried to question him gently. "Persona-- hmm?"

She paused as he started to talk about North Brother Island. The only thing out there worth noting of course, was the chantry. That had been the first sighting of the beast that night, before the card lead her here....She blinked at him and in the motion, as if it was a camera's shutter, the picture started to form. If he knew about the chantry, he knew of the enlightened. He could be one of them. But..

BIrdy reached her hand out to feel the chill in his skin and to wonder... Death was out of her touch but Life, she could find the blood coursing beneath the veins, the heartbeating, the spirit moving in flesh and here it was.... dead. Her hand retreated slowly, sadly as she just watched him and the pieces started to tumble together. There was no nice way to say it, no charming way to imply this was all because of him. The heartbreak that she felt for him went undisguised as the words tumbled out of her mouth.

"Oh fair maiden.....how far you've fallen. Lazarus, Mr Fenwick?" She was still allowing herself room for error but why else had she been drawn there? "Would you like to go sit somewhere inside and talk? I promise to do something about my bare feet."
PMEmail
^
Lazarus Fenwick
 Posted: May 2 2014, 11:31 PM

Tremere Eccentric
40, Kindred

N/A

Persona? Lazarus' blinked, brain stepping into Latin before he really considered anything else. "A...a mask?" Well perhaps not completely off there, everyone a separate persona within the confines of a situation. Though before he could think to say any more he found himself almost mortified that a stranger would have touched him. The vampire flinched though he didn't pull away however instinct told him maybe he should have. As Roberta pulled her hand away, he found himself startled how warm it had been, and his own fingers ghosted over the residual heat that remained then faded quickly with the chill in the air.

A smug snort escaped as he looked equal parts insulted and amused. "Never quite get away from that joke." If he had gotten a dollar every time someone had called him effeminate or otherwise queer in anyway he might not have ever needed to go to law school or work in his younger years. And that was just from his particularly snide brothers. But when properly named, Lazarus nodded curtly.

"Many have fallen further." to his merit he considered himself lucky that he wasn't barrabi, though that was something where someone nearly at rock bottom was just trying to make himself feel better that there was a point further then where he was at. Sort of a last ditch consolation to a man who had really nothing else to cling to. "It really depends what you want to talk about." There were matters he simply would not talk about, or simply couldn't. His loyalty to his family, and his desire for self preservation assured his silence in some topics, but considering that, he stood up, dusting himself off before offering a hand to help Roberta up.
PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: May 3 2014, 11:02 AM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

Birdy shook her head at the suggestion of a mask and the confusion that crossed the man's expression. She'd been trying to ask about 'personal problems' but his words had stopped hers before they could properly leave her mouth and she had an excellent idea now of what his 'personal problems' might be. She didn't need to ask. At least, not sitting on a stoop in an alley.

Birdy was surprised by the hand that was offered but she took it without any more hesitation that it took for her glance to ask him if it was really alright. She didn't really give him a chance to change his mind though, before her fingers were wrapped around his and he felt her weight as she pulled herself quickly. She released his hand as she stood, repeating the dance of removing debris from her pants. It didn't end there though, her gestures moved up, both hands into the sky. Her head went up too, her fingers curling to beckon something down from the clouds as she made a gentle ticking, clucking noise with her tongue. It only lasted a moment before she looked over at Lazarus and smiled. "If you don't laugh, I won't." She turned her attention back to the sky and once again began the call.

In the umbra, in the hollow beneath a pair of stones that were the reflection of the building she lived in, there was a crowded and cluttered nest. Bits and pieces of shine and glitter, sequins, gold paint. The glitter of a platinum card, buckles and buttons both stolen and given. In that nest was a pair of light, strappy sandals all gilded with gold.

Birdy made the noise again, the gesture pausing long enough for her to stretch her hand out to Lazarus. "Do you have a coin I could have? It doesn't matter what." Her free hand still beckoned, her pursed lips still making that clicking sound until there was the sound of feathers above. From a shadow a bird sang, a flash of black and white feathers and iridescent blue and the odd mixture of bird song, barking dog and the lilt of an ice cream truck's melody. Birdy got excited and clicked again addressing the bird, "I'll trade you, if you bring them."

She looked over at Lazarus hopefully. For a normal person it might be difficult to explain her conversation with the bird or what she hoped would shortly be happening but for Lazarus, she hoped, hoped dearly that he hadn't forgotten or still wanted to remember how amazing the world around them could be with the right application of belief and preparation.
PMEmail
^
Lazarus Fenwick
 Posted: May 4 2014, 01:17 AM

Tremere Eccentric
40, Kindred

N/A

Laugh? No. But Lazarus gave a quiet chuckle, shaking his head. He had a good sense of humor about just about everything which was surprising given his morose facade. "Oh by all means, feel free to laugh." He gestured quietly with a bit of a shrug. "Though I might have to have a giggle that apparently, you are a Disney princess." He covered his mouth but it was obvious he was making good on his innocent little threat.

"I think so?" He finally peeled his fingers from his lips and reached into his pocket pulling out a handful of coins and offering them out in one fluid gesture so Birdy could make her pick of whatever chimiage that she needed for whatever she was up to. His eyes resting on the bird with a a quirk of his eyebrow. "Huh." He wasn't one to summon animals, but then again, it wasn't his thing- but he got how it worked.

What he didn't understand was what she was exactly up to. "So what was that for?" Not shy in the least when it came to asking questions he wondered out loud really. Not expecting an answer because he got so few straight answers before. Though he was nothing but smiles as he offered a polite crook of his arm.

"Shall we?"

Of course he didn't know where they were going, but he was currently very amiable about getting off the street after having stayed in one place too long. That was just asking for trouble. Which he didn't exactly relish the idea of. "Where to Ms. Roberta?" He looked at her and waited, ready for her to take lead, the night was young, and he had nothing but time...endless time at that.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  ReplyNew TopicPoll

Tabbed sidebar code by Kismet @ RPG-D, skin elements by Obliviousally @ The Sintax