ReplyNew TopicPoll

»  Meeting Of the Minds, TAG: Magnus
Adrian Ostrogska
 Posted: Apr 4 2014, 10:27 PM

Super Serial Lord
36, Garou

If there was anything the Warder of the Sept of the Green did not have time for, it was some meeting with some Cliath from across the Atlantic. With all the upsets occurring as of late, playing gracious host to a newcomer was not high on his list of priorities. But then again, playing gracious host to anyone was hardly Adrian's forte; 'gracious' was a word reserved for those with the capacity to be both courteous and kind, and the Ahroun was notoriously neither.

But duty called, as so here he was, just outside the bawn, waiting for the Philodox to arrive. It was considered in good taste to hold such meeting in the caern proper but these days such a thing was far too dangerous. The silver weapons Adrian had found buried around the outskirts of the sept and the whispers of Skindancer sightings passing between the spirit world and their own meant caution was of utmost importance, and taking precautions was the name of the game these days.

Adrian had agreed to hold the meeting on the bridge over The Pond, it was well-known enough a location for a newcomer to find, just asking around would get them pointed in the right direction. The ducks who could usually be found wading in the pond hadn't yet returned north in great numbers, but there were a few spread out over the surface of the water, and Adrian stood with his hands in the pockets of his suit jacket, watching them paddle through the water with a disinterested look, eyes focused on the mallards while his ears were busy listening for the sound of approaching footsteps.
PMEmail
^
Magnus Bergstrom
 Posted: Apr 7 2014, 06:51 AM

Get Picketer
45, Garou

N/A

If the rest of New York had been dizzying in its complexity, this part at least felt a little more comfortable for the Scandinavian. His sombre procession along the path helped him fit in with the other tourists who were taking in the sights of this famous park.

Regardless of the Litany, Magnus liked to call ahead and make his visit known anyway. Arranging meetings, politics, diplomacy and other such business was something that he'd taken to remarkably well, whether he liked to admit it or not. It made sense to him for those he was dealing with to be as comfortable as possible. Unexpected visits were rarely appreciated, especially from those of his tribe.

He noticed the bridge almost precisely where he was expecting one to be and so diverted his course to take him toward it. He didn't quicken his pace, his movement slow and relaxed.

The wind picked up, causing leaves to dance across the footpath. Magnus' footfalls keeping time for them. Nearing the bridge, his nostrils picked up an interesting scent, that of the otherwise innocuous figure watching the ducks before him.

The Scandinavian took a similar position at the bridge's edge, a few feet away and took similar interest in the serene waterfowl below. He debated whether to be the first to speak or not.

"Good afternoon.", he elected to break the silence. Best to get the ball rolling, he figured.

PMEmail
^
Adrian Ostrogska
 Posted: Apr 9 2014, 04:45 PM

Super Serial Lord
36, Garou

Adrian heard the man before he saw him, a quick sideways glance the only movement he made as the Philodox approached, a quick visual confirmation that yes, this must be the one he was waiting for. Why be the first to break the silence? Adrian wasn't the one trying to make a good first impression here, if the Philodox didn't care for him it was no skin off his back, this was his turf and his sept, he wasn't the one who had to play nice.

There also may or may not have been a part of him that simply enjoyed being a jerkass; he wasn't at liberty to say.

Adrian waited for the man to settle into place and left that greeting hanging for a moment before replying with, "Mmm, so it is," gaze still entertaining the ducks for a moment before he turned and finally acknowledged the newcomer. "Bergstrom, I take it?" Who else would it be? But he was giving the Philodox a chance to do what Garou must in this situation, that is, ramble off their ridiculously long titles, should he feel so inclined. Adrian himself would follow suit; if Bergstrom wanted to play the game, so would he, but if the other man felt like passing by the dreadfully boring formalities he'd happily follow suit.
PMEmail
^
Magnus Bergstrom
 Posted: Apr 11 2014, 11:19 AM

Get Picketer
45, Garou

N/A

Were it not for the public nature of their current situation, Magnus might well begin a formal howl of introduction. There was, of course, the matter of the veil, which precluded him from completing it properly.

The Scandinavian was, though, rather fond of the Litany. Besides, he felt it might well behoove him to lay all his cards on the table here and now. Being the new guy in town, he was already at something of a disadvantage and an obvious target for suspicion. Not to mention the loss of renown inevitable when relocating halfway across the face of Gaia.

His posture stiffened a little, as his frame of mind became more formal. He cleared his throat softly, and began to speak.

"I am Magnus Aksel Bergstrom, late of the Bieggagallis sept in Kiruna, Swedish Lapland. Son of Calle and Birgitta Bergstrom of Kiruna. Nephew and protege of Brettel Torsten Bergstrom, famed Ahroun of the northern wilderness.", his head is lowered in deference to his company's higher status, but he visually checks that his words are not boring his new associate too much.

"Essentially, I have left my pack in northern Sweden to relocate to New York. I am here ostensibly to expand my business into the United States, but also to find honor and glory in the defense of Gaia against her agressors.", his words are perhaps a little too ostentatious. That might be a result of his accent, or simply the way he prefers things.

Magnus considers his rather more prosaic and verbose rendering of the contents of the usual howl of introduction more apt for their currently more businesslike and, well, homid meeting here in the midst of Central Park.

His introduction concluded, he raises his head once more to witness the other Garou's response.
PMEmail
^
Adrian Ostrogska
 Posted: Apr 14 2014, 10:43 PM

Super Serial Lord
36, Garou

Howls of Introduction, all the importance surrounding the greetings of the Garou nation as a whole? Adrian was never a fan of all the pomp and circumstance. Leave it to the Galliards; if he truly merited any praise for his glories in battle or otherwise, history would be sure to remember it. But this was the old way, the way of his father and all that came before him, and so he straightened up and faced the Philodox as the stranger introduced himself, respectful even if his heart wasn't in it.

After Magnus had ran through his accolades and lineage, Adrian nodded, the silent equivalent of 'well met', before launching into his own. "I am Adrian Fryderyk Ostrogska, Warder of the Sept of the Green, the grounds of which you stand upon. Shadow Lord and son of Fryderyk and Anita Ostrogska, Ahroun alpha of the War Dance pack." There, that ought to cover it, he mused inwardly, and after the rigid introductions were made Adrian offered Magnus a rare, albeit thin smile, adding, "Allow me to be the first to formally welcome you to the sept and warn you that you've chosen a hell of a time to come calling."

If Magnus hadn't heard of the oddities plaguing the sept yet, he surely would soon. If asked to elaborate he would, but for now Adrian offered no more explanation than that, allowing the man to explain just why he had requested this meeting. "And what sort of business may that be, dare I ask?" Best to get all the details up front.

Though the follow up about glory and honor were far more relevant to Adrian, and he brushed at some invisible bit of lint on the lapel of his jacket as he said, with another wry smile, "Aren't we all?" Not really a question that needed an answer, of course, but he voiced it nonetheless before returning his attention back towards Magnus. "May I push aside the formalities for a moment and speak bluntly?" he asked, eyes level with the other Garou's as he awaited an answer, though his tone seemed to suggest he'd continue whether or not he was given permission.
PMEmail
^
Magnus Bergstrom
 Posted: Apr 18 2014, 01:32 PM

Get Picketer
45, Garou

N/A

Magnus was glad that he'd completed as near as reasonably possible a proper introduction. He had left one or two things out, but those were to his detriment rather than anyone else's, so he felt it was his choice whether to reveal his status within his previous pack. All of that was in the past and meant very little now that he was in New York for the foreseeable future.

He nodded his head gratefully as he was formally welcomed and he made a mental note to enquire what it was, precisely, that made this particular time such a bad one for arrivals.

"My business...?", he echoed. "Well, I run a company which designs and implements industrial processes, reducing their environmental impact. We also offer consultancy services and lobby governments and other large economic bodies to reduce their carbon footprint." A noble enterprise, certainly. But it also sounded terribly dull.

"We've had some success in Scandinavia, but feel there are.... Bigger fish for us to fry on this side of the Atlantic.", he added.

His expression became more serious as Adrian offered to cut to the chase. "Blunt works for me. No point beating around the bush..." He listened intently, paying full attention to the Ahroun, suspecting that the conversation would rapidly take on some gravity and import for both of them.
PMEmail
^
Adrian Ostrogska
 Posted: Apr 22 2014, 12:09 AM

Super Serial Lord
36, Garou

That was another issue with the stuffy introductions of the Garou, no two of Gaia's children did it the same way, and no one could pinpoint exactly what the proper order of self-congratulatory bullshit should be. Abandon it altogether, that was Adrian's vote, but then again, no one ever really bothered to ask him. But all things considered, a job well done for two men who's native tongue likely wasn't English, he had to say.

Magnus rattled off the long and short of his business venture, and Adrian nodded after the Philodox had finished. "A noble cause, to be sure." He paused, and added, "Are you sure you aren't a follower of Unicorn?" he added, tone glib; asking a Get if they weren't meant to be a Child of Gaia was hardly safe territory to tread, but Adrian had never worried much over coming off as insulting. More than anything, it was a test to see just what kind of sense of humor Magnus had, if any. Gaia knew his own was decidedly dry.

"It's called the land of opportunity for a reason." Adrian lifted and waved a hand idly. "Though of course it's also the land of excess, greed, and a woeful inability to look at the larger picture. You truly have your work cut out for you."

A curt nod accompanied Magnus' allowance to cut to the chase, and Adrian leaned ever-so-slightly closer, as if what he was about to say was a secret, which to some degree, it was. "The timing of your arrival could be viewed as highly suspicious. We've had an influx of Skin Dancer sightings and the spirits have been restless in more ways than I care to count. I sense that it's mere coincidence, that you truly are here for the right reasons, but let me assure you, if that changes in the least, if I even remotely feel that you or your prescence here is a threat to the sept or those that call it home, I will personally send you back to your ancestors piece by piece."

Adrian straightened up again, tone never once rising or truly being malicious, if anything it sounded like he had just rattled off his grocery list for the week. He let those nonchalantly delivered words hang in the air for only a few seconds before turning on his heels and offering Magnus another thin smile as he asked, "Do we have an understanding? Good. Come along then, I'll give you the tour." And then he started off across the bridge, hands clasped behind his back. It was up to Magnus whether or not he cared to follow the Warder.
PMEmail
^
Magnus Bergstrom
 Posted: Apr 24 2014, 05:21 PM

Get Picketer
45, Garou

N/A

Perhaps it was false, the sense of security that Magnus was feeling after the initial formalities of the introduction had been dispensed with. But one thing that did bother him was the suggestion that he was, somehow, likened to a 'follower of the Unicorn'. He might be a more enlightened Get, but Get of Fenris he still was. The mere suggestion that he might be content with offering peace and healing at the expense of himself and his own goals was enough to waken the rage within him. His body stiffened and tensed, his fists tightened in a subconscious response to the Warden's suggestion.

However, Magnus had always been told that one of the foundational points of a Philodox's role was being able to feel Gaia's rage but also to be able to temper it with sense and channel it to provide energy for a more useful and productive purpose. So it was, he held back his rage at the suggestion he was a simpering hippie.

He subdued his immediate desires, knowing his role as a newcomer barely allowed him any expression of his own wishes in this scenario. He further neglected to point out that, had his motives been more antagonistic, he would likely have introduced himself to the Sept considerably earlier and would likely have passed unnoticed. He was the kind of garou who would plan everything to the minutest details - often years in advance. Still, he didn't expect that Adrian hadn't considered this angle, only that he had dismissed it - as he himself would likely have done, too.

Magnus then simply nodded his acceptance of the 'understanding' and chose, instead, to take in the tour he had been so graciously offered.

"Lead on....", he said.
PMEmail
^
Adrian Ostrogska
 Posted: Apr 30 2014, 12:04 AM

Super Serial Lord
36, Garou

Adrian knew he had gotten to the Get as soon as he saw those hands curl into fists. He half expected Magnus to say something, to challenge that dig the Warder had taken at his expense, but no, the man stayed silent, and Adrian had to admit he was impressed by the Philodox's reserve.

Another round of that legendary half-moon patience was displayed when Magnus simply accepted the not-so-subtle threat thrown his way, and Adrian nodded in return.Good. As long as the newcomer played by the rules he truly had nothing to worry about, but Adrian wasn't the sort to take chances even against the most promising of circumstances. He was told to lead on, and so he did, pushing away from the ledge of the bridge and starting inward toward the caern proper, hands in the pockets of his suit coat as he walked along.

"There isn't much to see on this side of the Veil, of course, but the most important area of spiritual note is the Bethesda Fountain." Which was where he was leading Magnus as they moved along, a good ten minute walk or so to the north. "Personnel-wise, as a newcomer to the sept, you're going to have to deal with the Elders. You've already met me, of course, but I'm hardly the only higher-up you'll meet. The Grand Elder is Mother Larissa, who I'm sure you've heard of." Who hadn't? The woman was so old there were rumors she had been lurking about the day Gaia passed on her gift to her children.

"Master of the Rite is Vertigo-Effect. Strange fellow, then again, we all turn into hulking beasts when provoked so far be it for me to judge." He waved a hand as he spoke, tone wry. "Lastly, the Master of the Challenge is Gathers-No-Moss, a Silver Fang, which should be all you need to know about that particular individual." Ah, there it was, that old Shadow Lord prejudice peeking through, and Adrian's expression darkened ever-so-slightly.

"Not that I expect you to remember all of this, mind you. But common courtesy dictates I not let you wander in unprepared." A beat. "Any questions so far?" Not that he much felt like answering any, but he was the host here, and as snooty as he tended to be, he was dedicated to at least going through the motions.
PMEmail
^
Magnus Bergstrom
 Posted: May 6 2014, 11:31 AM

Get Picketer
45, Garou

N/A

During the customary 'tour', Magnus looked around with interest. How much of that was genuine and how much feigned was not completely clear. Regardless, if only for appearances sake, the Fenrir showed interest in the Sept and its surroundings.

The roster of Elders elicited a few similar nods of understanding from Magnus. He smiled politely as the Shadow Lord passed his comments on certain other members of the Sept's heirarchy. As a newcomer, he wasn't really in a position to comment on any of them either way, but he was amused to note that some things remained the same whichever side of the Atlantic he found himself.

Magnus knew that people were people, and by extension garou were garou whereever they were to be found. How they interacted with each-other and how that could affect how they worked together or against each-other was what interested him. It was too early to evaluate how well the members of this sept worked as a unit, but he hoped that he could have a chance to study the group dynamic. Strange things like that interested him.

Then he was asked if he had any questions. "Yes, well... One question at least." His expression was one of sincere curiosity, but he tried to play down his interest a little, for fear of raising unnecessary suspicion. "You mentioned I'd picked a hell of a time to arrive...?" He let the remainder of his question hang unasked between them, trusting that the Warden would fill in the blanks.
PMEmail
^
Adrian Ostrogska
 Posted: May 10 2014, 12:45 AM

Super Serial Lord
36, Garou

Adrian knew without looking over that Magnus must be finding this tour dreadfully boring. Not that he blamed him; hardly. It was boring, hell, Adrian was bored giving it, but bless the Get for at least feigning interest. The list of who were the big wigs around the caern was perhaps the most important part, at least to get the Philodox acquainted with the names, and as he finished rattling off the list Adrian opened up the floor for questions, and sure enough, his new acquaintance had one.

"Ah, yes." Adrian came to a pause in his stride, glancing over at Magnus and giving the Get a once-over, catching that interest on the man's face but thinking nothing of it; after all, it was good that he wasinterested in the current going-ons concerning the sept. If he wasn't worried about Garou being skinned, Adrian's suspicions would have been raised nigh instantly. "There is, of course, the Skin Dancers that I mentioned. Nothing concrete yet, mind you, but the spirits don't exactly gossip for their health."

The Warder started to walk again, leading the way ever closer to the heart of the caern. "I myself have found numerous bundles of silver weapons stowed away here and there inside the bawn, which is cause enough for concern, but couple that with the missing skins and, well, you get the picture." A beat. "Oh, and there is the sudden, immense burst of plant life springing to life in downtown Queens, both inside the Umbra and out. So, as I said, hell of a time to show up." He offered Magnus another thin smile, and waved a hand, adding, "So if you're the sort willing to roll your sleeves up and get some work done, there's plenty to go around."
PMEmail
^
Magnus Bergstrom
 Posted: May 12 2014, 07:08 AM

Get Picketer
45, Garou

N/A

On the service, a spread of plant life sounded like it could only be good. Nature reclaiming the cities was a dream that appealed to Magnus on a number of different levels. But, he knew, that the resurgence within a metropolis such as this was not normal. More than that, it was not natural. That realisation made the Fenrir shudder a little inside, seeming as it was to be less the result of a victory for Gaia and more likely the symptom of some imbalance. Which was, it went without saying, not good.

Magnus wasn't sure how useful he'd be in such a clearly spiritual matter. Like most Philodoxes, most garou in general, Magnus knew quite a deal about the Umbra and how that realm interacted with his own. However, the Scandinavian had always preferred a more direct action in the physical plane to solve his problems. Usually employing his teeth and claws. He elected to file the increase in flora and fauna under the 'for future consideration' portion of his mind. He hoped that decision wouldn't return to bite him later on.

For Magnus, 'work' was the only real lover that the garou ever allowed himself. He reciprocated far more in that relationship than any other. Even his late fiancee would have agreed that the broad-shouldered garou that she loved was something of a cold fish when it came to human interaction.

A slightly sardonic smile bloomed upon his stern lips as he nodded in response to Adrian's suggestion he roll his sleeves up. "Never been afraid of getting my hands dirty..." His expression returns to its normal, more serious aspect as his lips spit out a final addendum to his response.

"If I can get my claws on some of those wyrm-ridden Skindancers, all the better." The vitriol in his words more than apparent. Perhaps accentuated a little by his exotic accent.

PMEmail
^
Adrian Ostrogska
 Posted: May 16 2014, 12:37 AM

Super Serial Lord
36, Garou

"Good." That was the sort of thing Adrian liked to hear. Whether or not the Philodox would keep true to his word would remain to be seen, of course, but he had yet to meet a Get who didn't speak in absolutes. Not their style. Adrian paused only long enough to entertain Magnus' question with an answer, and then he was off again, continuing to lead the way to the heart of the sept, which was finally visible up ahead.

"Spoken like a true son of Fenris." A beat. "I take back what I said about Unicorn earlier." A smirk, there, but what else was new? Adrian glanced over towards Magnus and nodded in approval, a few steps more and he came to a stop, lifting one hand and gesturing forwad, towards the large fountain that served as the center of the Sept of the Green, a large, stone statue of an angel standing tall in the center.

"And here we are, the Bethesda Fountain." Adrian was no Theurge, but even the Ahroun could feel the spiritual energy flowing through the area as easily as the water before them. "I'm afraid that's the long and short of it. All that's left is to meet the other sept officers but you're a big boy and they aren't terribly difficult to find."

He paused and turned to face Magnus, one eyebrow quirked slightly as he added, "As riveting an experience leading you about the caern has been, I believe it's time I get back to work. Duty calls and all that. Unless, of course, there was anything else you needed?" That last bit was said in a tone that suggested he hoped there wasn't. Playing polite was hardly Adrian's strong suit.
PMEmail
^
Magnus Bergstrom
 Posted: May 27 2014, 05:50 AM

Get Picketer
45, Garou

N/A

As they approached the fountain, Magnus gazed upon it with no small sense of awe. Despite the much-vaunted balance inherent in his role as Philodox, he had always concerned himself much more with the physical plane. Yet here he felt a strong sense of the 'spirit' of the place.

He didn't really react to the retraction of the Shadow Lord's earlier jibe. Where the rest of the city was a whirling morass of sounds and scents that confused the poor polar garou, here was an altogether quieter oasis. Albeit one that had a single, stronger distraction in the form of the fountain and the psychic buzz that came from the undercurrent of spiritual energy that flowed around it.

As the Warder began to wind up his tour, Magnus shook his head. "No, nothing more for now." He offered his hand by way of an amicable farewell. The "...for now." was his indication that he intended to make himself a very active part of this Sept. No doubt he would be contacting the Warder again soon. Though he predicted that would be a more productive and/or grave meeting than this had been.

PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options ReplyNew TopicPoll

Tabbed sidebar code by Kismet @ RPG-D, skin elements by Obliviousally @ The Sintax