ReplyNew TopicPoll

»  Blank Points, Tag: Enlightened SWP2 (VAs/Trads)
Kimiko Takahashi
 Posted: Apr 29 2014, 10:33 PM

Nexplorer Representative
22, Enlightened

N/A

Kim signed and paced back and forth across the room in the back of Technically Subversive. If the cups piled atop the garbage can were any indication, she was at least onto her sixth or seventh chai latte. It was a tad difficult to tell the old cups from the new, but either way, there was a lot of caffeine surging through her veins as she desperately tried to calm herself and her worries. The irony of using coffee to calm her nerves wasn't lost on her, but given her rampant caffeine addiction, chances are it would be worse if she wasn't drinking all these lattes. Or, at least more painful.

As it were, she stopped next to each of the half dozen coffin-like beds spread across this large storage room that they, and Kim, occupied. For the sixth time, they all seemed to be well in order. "Damned well better be. Not my personal rigs, but its my tech, so I should know how to get them running perfectly..." She shook her head and resumed her pacing.

It had been two days since she and Jon had barely gotten out of the Chantry of the Brothers with their sanity intact. Something about the Merlins just frustrated her. She had expected the haughtiness, they all seemed to think themselves champions of some long forgotten 'right' world after all. What she hadn't expected was the unwillingness to help fix a problem that could potentially kill them all. They argued, glared at each other, and finally resolved that none of the Traditionalists that actually showed up were willing to help. Sure, they had promised to send out feelers to their more sympathetic comrades, but still.

Now? Well it was the appointed time (a handful of minutes early actually) and the appointed place (she had mentioned the right coffee shop, but not the specific room), so where was everyone. The fact that she had been wondering that for over an hour already wasn't helping her nerves. Every minute they dallied, the worse things got. She was ready to go, and even Jon-boy wasn't here yet....

((Note: This thread will be 95% in the Digital Web after the first round of (establishing) posts, hence its location in this sub-forum. Also, in the interest of brevity in this thread, most of the background info was explored IC in this thread, if you have further questions before jumping in... Feel free to ask!))
PM
^
Ben Honee
 Posted: May 1 2014, 02:41 AM

Misanthropic Adept
41, Enlightened

There were very few things that made someone build up more regret and contempt then having an owed favor called on. Ben wasn't a fan of opening up his email and being summoned like some sort of two dollar whore because Akinson needed someone to chaperon his little field trip with the kids. But he wasn't exactly in the position to say no, or even if he had - it wasn't as though he would have. He wasn't exactly the sort of guy that had much to do other then stare at the rafters after work...and knowing him he would have started to fall into a pit of guilt and self deprecation if he didn't show up at some crappy little coffee shop in Brooklyn a damn hike from where he lived and worked in Manhattan.

He could count the last time he had been there in years...and he guessed there wouldn't be a face that recognized him, or that he would recognize them. That was the thing about time...most people said it healed all wounds, but only because the average human memory was five years. You didn't forget the hurt, your mind just went full tabula rasa. Not that there was any hurt here...it was just a shining example at least in his eyes why things changed but stayed oh so very the same.

"Damn presumptuous of you I think." Okay so maybe that wasn't the best way to come in, but Ben limped along only to hear some kid getting some facts very very wrong about technology right off the bat. It never worked the way, the way you wanted. "Check it once, check it again, then it still will probably take a crap on you because guess what...nothing is perfect and everything is fickle." Knowledge in, bullshit out...though it was more he was observing bullshit and calling someone on it. "Machines, and people." He got all the gritty details about what happened back at the Chantry of Brother and he couldn't help but wonder if today would get equally as ugly. After all he invited himself on back to the room he probably wasn't 'supposed' to know about even though the place was no mystery to him. Oh yeah...and he placed some doubt on some kid's precious rig.

Ben offered a smile to the stressed young Adept almost sounding like he was apologizing when he clarified: "Peter asked me to be here. You must be Kimiko." Though he didn't quite introduce himself, instead his brows knitted as he inspected the cup graveyard and the other little details of the room, putting together a puzzle and wondering if he liked the picture it was making. Because those pieces didn't all fit in just the way he liked it. Even though he had been pretty well briefed, the fact that it was just him, and her was...interesting. He wasn't aware he had been so early,
PM
^
Cassandra Clark
 Posted: May 2 2014, 12:19 AM

Shiny Happy Adept
32, Enlightened

N/A

When Wiseman called, the peons answered. Or, at least, that was the way it usually worked, or was supposed to work, or something like that, Andi never really knew. Or cared, truth be told, but one thing she did know was that something was up in the Digital Web, and seeing as how she had just got herself whiplashed through the damn thing and stranded on-- off all possible people-- Noah Freaking Fenwick's laptop, well, she had a personal interest in this particular summons.

So as she had been checking her emails at work she came across one in particular that was so well encrypted she basically had to goose it through the backdoor to get it to open up and say hi, and after giving it a read Andi decided that yeah, she maybe wanted to get involved with this particular group outing. She had heard tell that there had been an attempt to reach out and get friendly with some of the local Traditionalists but that, unsurprisingly, went up in flames and so this was round two. Whatever, the specifics didn't really matter, what did matter was she was going to have to come up with some lie to get out of the second half of her shift at work to run down and play Matrix in Brooklyn.

Which wasn't hard. She started early, complaining about stomach cramps, and then suggesting that ugh, don't go into the bathroom guys, really, it's not pretty, it's coming out both ends, I mean I can try to finish the day but oh, man, here comes round three, excuse me whilst I purge this evil from my body--

Fabricated, all of it, but once someone starts talking about Montezuma's revenge the suggestion to take that evil elsewhere wasn't far behind. And so Andi staggered out at noon, hands wrapped around her stomach, and as soon as she turned the corner from her office building she straightened up and made her way over to Technically Subversive. She opened the door and stepped inside, waving cheerfully at the person manning the counter and heading down the hallway when the barista waved her in that direction.

"Hello!" she announced, more or less bursting into the room with her hands splayed out at either side of her, fingers waggling for a moment before she stopped and set her hands against her hips. "I have arrived..." A beat, and then, in a low tone with dramatic flair to spare, "From the Internet."
PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: May 2 2014, 01:25 AM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

So many things. This network of Jen's... well not hers but the one that she'd connected her to -- not only had it filled her inbox with a ridiculous amount of spam... but it had started directing some very pointed subject lines specifically at her until she started reading the messages. These Adepts were very interesting. Six assured her that some of his best friends were VAs and that it was of course for a good cause - So, Birdy spent a day or two trying to ask questions to which she got few answers but it was enough to put her in position for the Big Event.

According to her cellphone and its GPS she was at the right place when she arrived outside the coffee shop with her handbag and overly large bloomingdale's shopping bag. She looked like any other young executive, well dressed and shod stepping into some hipster coffee shop. She ordered a green tea latte and took it with her down the back hall that the instructions indicated. The last door at the last turn and beyond that she didn't know what to expect.

Birdy arrived just in time to see a red head disappear into a door head of her. She followed suit, slipping in quitely, with much less ta-da! It wasn't entirely what she expected but in all fairness, she didn't know what to expect. That wasn't enough to stop her from getting temporarily comfortable though. She went to a seat and claimed it, crossing her legs neatly as she sat her shopping bag down beside her and took a sip of her tea from its oversized ceramic mug before she balanced it on her knee. This should be interesting.
PMEmail
^
Kimiko Takahashi
 Posted: May 6 2014, 10:10 PM

Nexplorer Representative
22, Enlightened

N/A

Kim was still pacing when people finally began to trickle in. She shot Ben a loaded glance at his snark. "Presumptuous? For knowing how my own rigs work?" She rolled her eyes, mentally bracing herself for having to put up with one of Wiseman's geezer brigade. Sure, they tended to have wisdom that the younger Adepts might lack, but that didn't mean she liked how often they assumed they were better than her just because they were older. "Of course nothing is perfect. Doesn't mean I'm stupid for trying to prevent as much trouble as possible...." She sighed and nodded. "Yeah, but call me Kim. Care to give a name to your scruffy face?" She flashed him a sarcastic grin before continuing. "Wiseman, eh? I figured as much. he said he'd try to call up some of the ]old guard. Not that I'm gonna complain. We need everybody we can get." She sighed and glanced at one of the beds again. "But I hope you have more to contribute than criticisms of my methods..." She rolled her eyes again, her gaze finally settling on the doorway behind him as she noticed another figure joining them.

"Hey." Kim glanced Andi up and down, trying to get some idea of what to expect from this woman. Kim knew a bit about the girl, as she tried to stay up to date on the Adepts' rank and file, but beyond a vague recognition, not much was occurring to her. Then, Andi dropped the bomb... Kim blinked a few times, her face slack in a 'are you serious' expression. "From the internet, eh?" She chuckled lightly, shaking her head. "Big shocker there. I'd say the same, but you've stolen my thunder..." She smirked. "Seriously, though. If you've come from the internet, you've come to the right place, since that's where we're going..."

Kim let out a deep sigh. This was shaping up to be an interesting, and unfortunately small, group. "Well I guess..." She started to move towards the beds when she noticed the silent appearance of a fourth figure. She blinked at Roberta a few times. This wasn't someone she was expecting, clearly not an Adept that much was certain. "Well, hello." She waved casually, with a hint of surprise. "If you're here to help us figure out what the hell is happening in the Digital Web, you've come to the right place..." She shrugged and gestured at the beds.

"If you're ready to jump in, come on over and lay down on one of these beds..." She led them all over to the rigs and helped anyone who needed it to strap into the synapse sensors and VR interfaces. Once everyone was strapped in and the devices were properly calibrated, she climbed into another of the beds and locked herself in. "Okay, this will likely be strange for the unfamiliar, so just a heads up. You're gonna be dizzy and disoriented at first. That's normal. It's just that the mind isn't used to be disconnected from the body, you'll adjust quick enough. Try not to lose your lunch. It'll just be data, but it can be unsettling what form that takes. Nothing like seeing your deepest worries given form and trickling out of your mouth..." With that she started counting down. "Three. Two...." On two she punched a button and entered the Web, the other rigs (having been 'slaved' to her own rig), engaging at the same time

When the lurching sense of being forcibly removed from the body had passed, Kim looked around the room where they found themselves. The room looked identical to the one they had just left, but empty. No beds. No abandoned coffee cups. Nothing. Just white walls, the white floor, and the white ceiling. "Everyone make it across okay?" .
PM
^
Ben Honee
 Posted: May 8 2014, 07:05 PM

Misanthropic Adept
41, Enlightened

There was a snort of amusement and Ben found himself shaking his head quite enthusiastically. "Oh no no no...for THINKING you know how your rigs work." That was the folly of youth, a certain claim to immortality that really wasn't there. But it wasn't as though he took that moment of defensiveness as offensive. Hell if had awakened back when he was her age he might have been quite the hellion. But instead he was simply humoring the kid. Part of it was his own nature...the other part was that he promised to be nice. So here he was. Being nice. Even as she called him old and seemed to look down her nose at him.

Ben flashed a toothy smile, chuckling in spite of himself. "Criticism? Who was criticizing?" If he had entered the cafe with that intent, this Kim would have known- she probably would have stormed out of the place or punched him. Maybe both. Though that did bring something to note in his mind- what happened where everyone had such thin skin these days? Maybe all that anonymous net mongering had made everyone sensitive to face to face chit-chat. Dish it out...couldn't take it...Really he could have gone on and on puzzling over what had gotten up the kid's craw, but he found himself caring less and less...

Until a newcomer completely broke him of chain of thought entirely, and his head jerked as though manually resetting itself. He had missed introducing himself just for something like this...a succinctness of words in such matters was really more his thing. Why say his name three times for every woman that stepped in, when he could do it once and have it over with? "I'm Ben." Seemed at least one person in the room knew what was up in that regard, and Ben nodded curtly at the brunette before turning his attention to the much more gregarious red head.

"And you didn't just meet us there?"

He winked, trying trying so hard to point out that even though his tone was sort of gruff- it was a joke, for real. Which he sort of hoped got across proper. Though as Kimiko started to explain things Ben just folded up his glasses tucked them into his shirt collar and laid himself down before strapping himself in, a routine that was familiar enough, 'special rigs' or no. Though given a certain someone's confidence Ben would consider himself lucky if he didn't end up like Seth Brundle on the other side of the LAN line.

Which he seemed he was fortunate enough to NOT end up some sort of insect monster hybrid. So that was just honky dory, "Fine." He announced when asked, undoing the buttons on his sleeves and rolling them up to his elbows, showing...what looked like a long sleeve lycra shirt underneath. Nothing special, just an undershirt- proving that even in the digital web, he was an almost humble man, his avatar was himself, nothing special about it.
PM
^
Cassandra Clark
 Posted: May 13 2014, 12:27 AM

Shiny Happy Adept
32, Enlightened

N/A

"Hey." The girl who seemed to be the head honcho greeted her first, and so Andi greeted her right back, lifting a hand and offering a quick little wave. "Yup, literally from the Internet. Got trapped in there. Wanna figure out why, sooooo... here I am." That was the long and short of it. Yeah, she would have shown up anyhow, but this time, it's personal.

DUN DUN DUN.

Andi barely even noticed that anyone else had entered the room after her until the eyes of the other two Adepts glanced over her shoulder, and so she whipped around, finally noticing the third female to join the party. "Oh, uh, howdy." Okay, kinda weird, slinking in without a word but hey, maybe this lady was one of those badass chicks who didn't say anything and just went all ninja and kicked some ass when the time came. That'd be cool. A lot cooler than Beardy over there, who decided to throw his two cents in on the situation with a wink-wink sort of flair, but then again, Andi did have a soft spot for nerdy buttheads.

"And miss the Matrix plug-in part? Are you nuts? That's the best part!" She gestured towards the 'beds' laid out along the walls, and grinned. "Anywho, I'm Andi, and I'm ready to roll when you guys are." Jumping into the Digital Web? Pssh, this was nothing new. This wasn't even her whole day. So she wandered over towards the nearest bed and flopped down, strapping herself in and drawing in a deep breath before she felt herself getting slingshot into the world wide web.

Andi in the real world was pretty Plain Jane; she had come in, hair tied up in a pony tail, wearing a pair of capri pants and a tank top with some cheap flip flops on her feet, but as soon as she landed in the Web, well, things were a little different. The flip flops were replaced with a pair of heeled knee-high leather boots, the capris and tank top transformed into a skin tight cat suit unzipped low enough to show off cleavage she absolutely did nothave a moment ago, and that pony tail had turned into a perfectly coifed 60s-style blowout. Total Bond girl, 100% so, and she didn't look even mildly embarrassed about her choice of avatar as she glanced over towards Ben and threw him a thumbs up.

"Yessir!"
PMEmail
^
Roberta Buck
 Posted: May 13 2014, 07:57 PM

Traditional Dreamspeaker
35, Enlightened

N/A

It all happened so very quickly! Too quickly for her own comfort but she was starting to get Ideas about this Virtual Adepts and just how… ‘virtual’ any ‘adeptness’ might be. Contrary to the groups modus operandi there was absolutely nothing wrong with explanation or preparedness. Alas.

When told to pick a bed, Birdy started to ask what they were for and why did they need them but the words never really made it past her lips. They were already ‘plugging in’. “Fascinating.” It really was and she kicked herself for immediately becoming a stick in the mud. This was supposed to be an adventure! Besides, she came well prepared. So, with one last sip of her tea, she pulled her button blanket out of the shopping bag and picked a bed. Birdy slipped off her heels and climbed into position, covering herself with her blanket. Birdy watched the others place the attachments and such and tried to do the same.

It must have worked, because after the familiar rush of wind and wings she was standing in a bare white room with her new compatriots. She wasn't dressed with as much flash as the girl in the boots and catsuit but her blanket was wrapped around herself like a long shawl and every so often the button eye of Raven blinked or the blanket shifted and shimmered –just- so. As they all gathered, she cleared her throat. “I didn't get a chance to introduce myself. I’m Roberta – but please, call me Birdy. I hope I can be helpful.” I hope I actually have an inkling of what is going on….
PMEmail
^
Kimiko Takahashi
 Posted: May 22 2014, 10:06 PM

Nexplorer Representative
22, Enlightened

N/A

Kim rolled her eyes at Ben as she walked toward her rig. Figures the grey-beard would make a snide comments about her rigs. "Look if you know better, feel free to use your own tech for this endeavor... What? You didn't bring anything? Then shut it." She sighed and chose to ignore his further comments about what he defined as criticism or not. It didn't matter right now, and she didn't feel like arguing when there were other matters at hand. Instead she glanced at the others.

"Well, that's what we're here to do. Find out what's messing with the Web, so you came the right place." Kim smiled lightly as she started strapping herself in. "A pleasure to meet you in person Andi. Wish we Adepts would tend to meet up in more pleasant circumstances..." And she nodded at Birdy's comment before initiating the log-in. "Yeah, its neat, but that's nothing to what happens when I do this..." Then she keyed in the sequence to pull them all into the Web.

Once they were all standing in the empty room, Kim looked over the others to assess the strength of their icons and get an idea of how they were handling the transition. The older guy, Ben, seemed to have an understated icon which basically resembled himself in everyday wear with only a few affectations for the Web. Good, that told her more about how external that gruffness was than anything the man could say. Andi, on the other hand, looked more like a super-spy; that seemed to indicate that she was either quite comfortable in the Web or somewhat arrogant about her skills, probably a bit of both, neither of which surprised Kim. Birdy, was probably the most surprising to Kim, what with her shawl and bird-like appearance; clearly not unfamiliar with the spiritual side of things but still strange for a Web traveler. Probably one of the mystic Traditions there, but that didn't matter if the girl had the chops.

Kim's icon to her credit looked like a combination of old-school driving gear and something out of a pulp serial. She wore nearly skin-tight jeans accented with knee-high brown leather boots. Across her leather-jacketed torso she wore a large bandolier covered in small pouches. Around her neck was a large white scarf which seemed to waft behind her in a breeze that didn't touch anything else in the room. Finally, atop her head, was a large pair of goggles. She checked herself to see that everything was in order before looking up at the others again.

"Okay Ben, Andi, and Birdy. Duly noted. If you're ready..." She then casually walked over to the door, which was the only discernible thing in the room beyond those who currently occupied it. Then she paused. "Oh, before I forget. If things get too hairy and we need to beat a hasty retreat, I've programmed an escape subroutine into our beds back in meatspace. All you have to do is envision a large white door opening and utter the words 'Mission Abort' aloud and you will be dumped back into the physical world. It's a panic button, not a kind exit, and it will hurt to dump back into your body so abruptly. Better that than dead, though..."

Kim then turned back to the door and pushed it open, revealing a large green and black corridor which looked like it was built out of computer circuitry. "Come on, we can't linger on the shop's intranet all day if we want to get this done." She stepped out into the corridor and tapped a small bud in her ear and listened for a moment before pointing to their left. "Wiseman says that the disturbance is centered this way. We can use the corridors for a ways, but we'll likely have to cut through a few Domains before reaching our goal..." She paused again, looking back. "It's probably gonna get a bit hairy from here, so if you have any questions, now would be the time."
PM
^
Ben Honee
 Posted: May 23 2014, 04:59 PM

Misanthropic Adept
41, Enlightened

"Mmm hmmm."

Whatever you say buttercup, there was a smile plastered on his face as he just shook his head. He knew that Kimiko knew the score here, he was -here- because he was asked to be here, he could have met them on the net, but that wasn't what he said he was going to do. If anything he was a man of his word as much as he loathed it. So while he grew quiet towards the girl, he didn't ignore her- now that, that would have been unwise- instead he picked up what he could from her behaviors to figure what had gone poorly the first time around as Wiseman had said. It all painted a vibrant picture, which did nothing to pull the smirk off his lips.

So long as everyone towed the line and did what she wanted...seemed everything was was right as rain. Tut tut. That wasn't how the world worked real or digital- but at the very least everyone else seemed to be getting along well enough.

Ben hummed slightly. "It really is the best part..." he agreed entirely, but didn't add his own opinion: Of an otherwise worst situation. But still the best of the worst was still best so Ben rolled with it. Though as he finished popping on diodes and getting ready to trip the light fantastic he couldn't help but look over at the Traditionalist that joined them, it was strange to see actual...enthusiasm around these parts, which hit him as singly the saddest and most enlightening things he had seen in awhile, a very long while. Which stuck him funny as he felt his consciousness moving over.

"Good to meet you." Short but that was just how he generally barked out anything he said besides he was a bit preoccupied watching the women and their altered forms. A little too flashy for his tastes, but then again, he was aware his tastes were rather plain. So he was adventuring with one of those talking paintings from a Harry Potter book, Emma Peel and the leader of some kid's anime with those marketable monsters. Sort of fun in a way. "Well given that we don't know -exactly- what we're investigating I'm certain you'll be no more or less useful then any of us. So don't sweat it. "

Throwing up a hand Ben walked off in the direction directed, not trying to rock the boat and get Kimiko all bent out of shape until he really needed to intervene. Quiet now so his words might sport more merit later. Hairiness he could handle, some angry kid...he could not. So he took his chances with the corridor and whatever lead that way.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options ReplyNew TopicPoll

Tabbed sidebar code by Kismet @ RPG-D, skin elements by Obliviousally @ The Sintax